The global mosquito repellent market size is valued at US$ 6.1 billion during 2020. Strong business potential encourages mosquito repellent vendors to market vaporizers, coils, spray, cream, oil, mats and other forms of repellents. We anticipate the global mosquito repellent industry to grow at a CAGR of 4.8 percent between 2021 and 2028 to reach $8.9 billion by 2028. Leading retail formats of mosquito repellents include supermarkets, hypermarkets, independent retailers, e-commerce and other channels.
Key Findings from the global Mosquito Repellent market report-
- The mosquito repellent market size stood at US$6.1 billion. It is forecast to grow at a CAGR of 4.8% during the forecast period
- The COVID-19 pandemic had a relatively positive impact on sales across most market segments
- Residential households continue to be the focus of most marketing campaigns as they remain the single largest mosquito repellent buyer segment
- Mosquito-borne diseases and government support coupled with technological advancements drive the market outlook
- Organic repellents, packaging innovations, the launch of new products are widely observed mosquito repellent trends
- Of different mosquito repellent forms sold, vaporizers dominated the market, closely followed by coils and sprays. On the other hand, spray from mosquito repellent is the fastest-growing segment
- Among distribution channels of mosquito repellents, supermarkets, and hypermarkets remain the dominant mode.
- The global mosquito repellent market is led by Asia Pacific markets. The region held the dominant market share worldwide during 2020, driven by sales in China and India.
Global Mosquito Repellent Market Size Outlook (US$ Billion) and Growth Forecasts (%), 2020- 2028
Mosquito Repellent Vendors Focus R&D efforts on organic and plant-based repellents
Strong demand for organic and plant-based mosquito repellents is encouraging manufacturers to focus R&D efforts on these products. Consumer awareness of the harmful effects of synthetic repellents is encouraging the launch of eco-friendly mosquito repellents. Citronella, cinnamon, peppermint, spearmint, lemongrass, garlic essential oils, and others are widely used ingredients. Companies are both developing products with 100% plant-based products and as a combination to market mosquito repellents.
Evolva, the biotech company that developed Nootkatone offers commercial partnership opportunities
The chemical ingredients used in mosquito repellents are subject to stringent government regulations. Accordingly, companies face challenges in product differentiation. Most of the mosquito repellent vendors vary the form of the product with the chemical ingredients remaining similar. Nootkatone is the only active ingredient registered for use in insecticides and repellents by the EPA in the past decade. The CDC and Evolva Holding AG developed the natural ingredient. Currently, the biotechnology research company is evaluating commercial partnerships with leading mosquito-repellent vendors.
Vaporizer form dominates the global mosquito repellent market
The report analyzes the global and regional mosquito repellent market across six forms including vaporizers, coils, sprays, creams, oil, mats, and others. Of these, the Vaporizer form of repellent held the largest market share in global mosquito repellent form. The vaporizer form is widely sold in Asian markets and accordingly, most companies continue to strengthen their operations in the Asia/Oceania mosquito repellent market.
Recent News and Developments
- Aunt Fannie's, Inc. (US) introduced a new mosquito repellent spray that is free of DEET, no dyes or no phenols, and the absence of any petrochemical propellants in May 2019
- The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved nootkatone chemical ingredient for use as a mosquito repellent in August 2020. The CDC and Evolva worked together to develop the chemical ingredient
- Brazilian cosmetics company Natura &Co completed the acquisition of Avon Products Inc in January 2020
- In January 2021, Kao Group developed a new technology based on low-viscosity silicone oil. The product masks the senses of mosquitoes and acts as an efficient repellent.
Key market segments analyzed in the 2021 mosquito repellent market study-
Cream and Oil
Supermarkets and Hypermarkets
Middle East and Africa
South and Central America
- Godrej Consumer Products Ltd (India-based consumer goods company) - found in 2001
- S. C. Johnson & Son (leading household supplies and chemicals company) - found in 1886
- Reckitt Benckiser Group Plc. (UK-based consumer goods company) - found in 1814
- Henkel AG & Co. KGaA (operations in Adhesive Technologies, Beauty Care, and Laundry & Home) – found in 1876
- Natura & Co Holding SA (BraziBrazil-basedonal cosmetics company) - found in 1969
Mosquito Repellent Market
Cream and Oil
Supermarkets and Hypermarkets